Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Spargeltown



This happened in the beginning of June, I'm more than a month behind! I took a 5 hour train ride on the ICE from Berlin to Frankfurt Airport, where I met back up with Peiz, freshly flown in from Newcastle and the Take That concert and we drove SEHR FAST on the Autobahn to Heidelberg. I thought I might die. Just a little.

Heidelberg is the home of spargel (pronounced "schpargel", from what I can gather), or white asparagus. We went to Schwetzingen Schlossgarten. It was very ordentlich. and German. And full of manicured greens and spitting deer.



It was very pretty, in a controlled way. So my enthusiasm for it couldn't be shown by throwing my arms out in wild abandon and lunging across fields of short clipped grass. Rather, I restrained myself and ate an apple while walking and observing water fowl by the ponds.

In true German fashion, Peiz's boyfriend Andreas announced: OK, I have made a plan. First we will drive to Swetzingen, then we will walk around the garden. Then we will go home and have a snack, maybe some pastry. Then we will pick up the spargel and go to the Apple Store with my father. Then.....it's spargel time.



itallhappensreallyfast! let'sblastthroughthecherrypie! nowquickletsgogetthespargel!



Asparagus in Germany is usually white, unlike the usual green variety. And it's usually eaten with lots and lots of hollandaise and ham/bacon/ham and bacon. It's really mild, hearty, thick, but not terribly asparagussy. But then again, I'm comparing it to green asparagus....

Every morning we had a selection of at least 5 cheeses, a zillion different hams, tomatoes, an array of juices and coffee and a large pot of tea. I loved this bread! Who wouldn't love a loaf called Golden Toast?!




Andreas' mother made some tasty tasty stuff for dinner that didn't make it into my digital card reader :(


No comments: