Monday, July 13, 2009

I'm on a processed food roll!



What baffles me is that even though Iceland gets such lovely seafood and I don't think it is that hard to round up some puffins if you needed a quick..I don't know, roast puffin..but there is still a market for fast food and they love hotdogs and burgers – things that I would gladly turn down for the rest of my life in exchange for fresh fish. I'm not sure if fish prices at the market are or used to be sky high, but if they were and if I lived there, I'd make friends with some fishermen.

I guess Burgerjoint in Icelandic means Burgerjoint in English! I guess burgers weren't invented in Medieval times and therefore don't have proper names for them with fancy and confusing characters???



One of the many many things I love about Iceland is the atmosphere in restaurants and especially smaller cafes, diners and dingy burger joints. It's definitely festive, and you definitely need it when you spend a good chunk of the year in the dark. The burger joint was a lone low lying concrete building near the harbor, where I imagine it would be blustery cold in the wintertime. It was decked out in hand drawn posters, pages from kids coloring books and fairy lights.

There are no pictures of food because....I didn't get one and Candice ate hers too quickly.

4 comments:

Pamplemousse said...

ROAST PUFFIN!!!

...yes, it always boggled my mind how our Taiwanese friends would always want to take us to burger joints, especially Hooters (!), and not for the girls!

I guess every place has its idea of the exotic.

Mousse said...

So bizarre!

Speaking of burgers, when you come to visit, ironically we need to go to a burger joint. It's got goooood burgers – really good, on ciabatta with gruyere and bacon. It's not in fast food burger league. In fact, service is a little slow.

http://www.dumontrestaurant.com/dburger.html

Pamplemousse said...

haha! slow burgers.

oysterboy said...

i was hungry... and it was tasty tasty processed food :P