Friday, July 17, 2009

The other sweet Jesus



Speaking of sweet Jesuses, I went to Marlow and Sons with my favourite wayward Muslim. I'm not sure what I had for dinner, but I definitely knew what we had to start. They're supposed to be famous for their brick chicken, but I don't remember having that and the only thing that could make me give up a house speciality is a special fish of the day or lamb chop, so that's probably what I had. The bartender made me a tarragon mojito and we ordered a CHEESE PLATE while inquiring about salami.

She rattled off a couple of names and then our ears prickled when she said 'The Baby Jesus'.

"WE'LL HAVE SOME OF THAT"

There is something deliciously sacrilegious about eating a salami called The Baby Jesus with a wayward Muslim, as a moderately well behaved jack russell terrier about half a foot away from us looks longingly at our meat plate before lunging at his owner's salad, and finally washing down our entire meaty meal with an espresso...with milk.

4 comments:

Pamplemousse said...

PLEASE TAKE ME THERE!

Have I told you about my love affair with cured meats?

and, TARRAGON MOJITO! Mojitos are my favourite summer drink.

what's a brick chicken? chicken cooked on a brick? A brick of chicken? BRICK BRAAAAAWK.

Mousse said...

I thinkkkkk brick chicken is squashed and flattened under a brick in the oven so it cooks evenly. But I am not sure!

I LOVE cured meats. Try some Felino salami with some sheep's milk cheese from the Pyrenees!(Pyrenees Brebis). I was obsessed with that combination for quite a while.

TheGoodEgg said...

Actually, I have tried the brick chicken, and it's * * delicious * *.

Brick chicken is a bistro classic (and yes, cooked under a brick).



(I'm still waiting for a posting about your visit with Tomato Tim!)

Mousse said...

mmm. I feel like it is a waste though, going out to eat chicken...but I must try.

Please hold for tomato posts! I'm a tardy backlogging blogger at the moment. (vacation food overload)