Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Random Gourmet: Balsamic Beet Bonanza

Oops! I was going to try to slip this in between Mousse's Icelandic and German food adventures, but I guess I am one post too late. Oh well. Enjoy the asymmetry!

I have decided to make "Random Gourmet" a recurring series since it is my favourite way to cook. The following is a bit of a cheat -- two dishes from two different nights put together under the same theme, but they went together like an environmentalist's perfect date, so I let it be.


See the beautiful rings? This is what inspired me to invent beet chips. Also, both my Dad and my boyfriend are not too keen on whole beets. I realized this was a great way to disguise beets and tone down their full flavour to a subtly sweet crisp. The nutty, slightly bitter flavour of the quinoa is paired with beet's favourite friend: a caramelized balsamic vinagrette.

This dish brilliantly uses ALL parts of the beet and REuses the balsamic!

Balsamic Beet Bonanza: Beet chips, beet greens and quinoa
serves 2

Ingredients:
- 1 fresh bunch of beets from the market, LEAVES INTACT. (I picked up a golden variety this week but purple ones are always beautiful)
- 2 cups quinoa, cooked in rice cooker (or boiled in a pot if you are not so fortunate as to own a rice cooker, the most useful kitchen gadget ever).
- balsamic vinegar
- olive oil
- garlic
- salt and pepper, some marjoram (optional)

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 425 C. Also, boil the quinoa.
2. Remove beet greens, wash if dirty and set aside.
3. Scrub beets and slice in thin discs.
4. Prepare beet marinade: mix balsamic, oil, marjoram, salt and pepper into a vinagrette.
5. Coat beets in marinade by tossing in a mixing bowl.
6. Lay beet chips out in single layer on a baking sheet and set into oven. Leave them until crisp (but not burnt; slightly burnt edges means perfect). This may take some monitoring. (Sorry, I didn't keep track).
7. The unused marinade will be USED for the beet greens. Maximize the flavour by enclosing it in a makeshift tinfoil envelope, sealing it up, and setting it on the baking tray with the beets (this will caramelize the sugars).
8. When beet chips are 10 minutes to done (1/2 or 2/3 way through cooking time), smash up several garlic cloves with the side of your knife (I use my trusty cleaver for everything).
9. Toss them into a pan (preferably a wok) with hot oil.
10. Add beet greens and salt.
11. Toss until oil is absorbed and leaves turn deep green.
12. Add a 1/2 cup of water/broth, toss, then cover and turn off heat. The leaves will steam tender without any supervision.
13. Dish out the quinoa (1 cup/person) and beet chips alongside.
14. After 5 minutes or so while you are doing this, the beet greens should be cooked. Lay them over the quinoa and then drizzle the envelope of caramelized balsamic over everything (heavier on the quinoa side).

Serve and dig in. :)

P.S. I will be replacing my broken camera at the end of this month, after which you will see more posts from me and REAL pictures!

No comments: