Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Rogacki, I love you



This is on such a backlog. This happened on June 5th, 2009

Peiz had just left Berlin, and I awoke bleary eyed and all alone. Hmmm a whole day free with nothing planned. After chowing down on some squirrel muesli, bio yogurt (I'm not sure what that means exactly), blueberries and goats cream cheese slathered carrots, what else to think about but...lunch. My dad called me to say he just remembered that I was in Berlin and when he was watching Anthony Bourdain, there was a deli/meat market/food extravaganza with every cut of meat and every slab of cheese you could imagine!!!!!!! You could even eat there too and there was so much food, it was OBSCENE!

PERFECT! A day of culture (museums) and obscene gluttony.

The first task was trying to locate it. My dad couldn't remember what the place was called but could describe it in great vivid detail, which made it extra frustrating because typing "ENORMOUS place in Berlin with obscene amounts of anything you want and so much food you don't know what to do with it." into Google doesn't really help. Actually no. I can't remember exactly how it was described, but I spent a good amount of time scouring the interweb for it, using roughly those keywords.

I sent him the website. and he texted back "Jawohl!! Das ist das Geshaft" which means "Yes!! This is the shop."

Right, mission to locate food! It was all the way west in Chalottenburg, a residential neighborhood.



You get off the U-Bahn at Bismarckstrasse. Okay, so it's not way way west, but from where I was staying, it was a little bit wester than usual.



This is the outside. You can get fresh German eggs. HERE.



you can also get some FRESH FISH AND SHARK. RAWR!



The standard collection of cheeses....



I love to eat....GERMAN MEATS!!!!!!!!!





Rogacki is set up with a market around the inside perimeter and with stalls in the middle with stand around tables for you to eat quickly at. I must've walked around the place maybe 4 or 5 times before deciding what I wanted. I was tempted to get a selection of meats, but with a giant blue fish on their awning, how could I pass some of it up?



This is a peculiar fish. I haven't decided if it's saying "I have a secret" or "I house things good and fresh" or "I am very wary and suspicious of you" or "Stop eating my friends" or "You will spend more time here than necessary" or "Geez, another tourist?" or if it is just apathetic.

Actually, there weren't that many tourists. They were all tough looking German speaking folk. So I motioned to the server at what most people were eating: breaded fried fish and potato salad.



Es ist gut. yum.

No comments: