Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Heidey Ho!



(This is from my major vacation on 2009, when I went to Munich, Berlin, Heidelberg, London, Cornwall and Iceland. I was so enthralled with Iceland I had to post exhaustively about it. But now, lets start at the very beginning.....)

Munich was a little bit of a whirlwind touch and go. I arrived in a daze on a Sunday when all the shops were closed, was a little more lucid on Monday and departed on a fast moving train to Berlin on Tuesday morning at 7am.

I was exposed to germy airplane interiors, greeted by Germans in lab coats and face masks at the airport gate, inquiring if any of us had developed mysterious flu like symptoms on the plane. So how better to fortify my body with some YAH! German food at the bier garten!

PAUSE:
I feel like I have to explain the Heidey Ho title. It's a word that Peiz and I concocted (or borrowed from Ned Flanders and tweaked for our purposes) to describe beer drinking, jolly dancing and general German merrimaking, lederhosen optional but preferred. So the below constitutes a Heidey Ho, bonus points for the guy walking around with the giant wooden spoon to collect tips.





Anyway, ONWARD.

Plates are heavy, portions are hearty and you drop your beer mug on the table with a resounding thump. (Actually, that's actually apfel shorle, or fizzy apple juice.....heh heh. training beer, if you will!) A slab of pork! A lump of mystery carbs! (knudle?) and a heaping on sauerkraut and a generous spill of gravy. French Fries! A salad as big as your head! (I didn't take a picture of the salad, since it's quite un-German to be eating raw green veggies).

I snagged these off of Peiz's facebook.







Did I mention how delicious this was? It was phenomenal. Wooden benches on gravel, festive harmless drunks, the smell of German food wafting from the buffet a mix of french fries, wurst and all combinations of roasted and stewed pork as you sit under a tall lamp and laugh heartily with old and new friends in the cool evening breeze. Now sample a piece of juicy tender pork and tell me who wouldn't have died and gone to heaven.

On the walk back, after my first day in Munich, I saw this piece of amazing awesomeness:

No comments: