Monday, July 13, 2009

My love affair, now turned long distance relationship with Skyr



Everyone knows that long distance relationships are hard. You don't get to see each other very often and it gets expensive. NO DIFFERENT IS MY NEWLY MINTED RELATIONSHIP WITH SKYR. This is us at the airport.

Recap: Skyr is Icelandic yogurt made out of cows milk that is virtually fat free (0.2%), but contains all the flavor of a full fat yogurt and tastes heavenly and is thick and light.

I used to consume a bunch of Fage, a Greek yogurt that was creamy smooth and THICK. Then I used to eat a lot of Hawthorne Valley's delicious runny yogurt. Then I settled for whatever was convenient. Now I haven't had my usual breakfast of yogurt, fruit and granola since I left Iceland.



I tried to have it everyday that I was there. Then after I had some at the Icelandic Fish and Chips place, I was obsessed. It was the best skyr ever. And it is so versatile! Make dips with it, use it instead of sour cream, have it for breakfast with granola, or dessert with berries. Put it on your face and use it as a collagen mask! (actually no, don't do that, unless you want me to lick your face). I've been raving about skyr since I first tried skyr and when I was at the airport, I wanted nothing more than to take copious amounts of it in freezer and dry ice bags on the plane with me. Alas, blue lagoon moisturizer was weighing me down. Thank goodness I didn't attempt this, because when I got to New York, sniffer dogs were sniffing out stuff and came around to check me out, with no incident. I'm sure US Customs would be none too pleased if they uncovered barrels of yogurt culture.

Anyway, as I was grumbling as I was grocery shopping back in the land of high fructose corn syrup and modified starch and emulsified soy, my friend Christine paused a little too long at the yogurt section. A lot of stuff was already wiped out and I had no eyes for any other type of yogurt and accepted my calcified future with a former flame, Ronnybrook Chocolate Milk (which is still pretty spectacular if you ask me). I contemplated a skyr imitation, Siggi's. And then slowly, slowly, Christine pulled from the shelf a serving sized portion of SKYR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG SKYR. SKYR IN AMERICA*. REAL SKYR. REAL SKYR HERE!!!!!!!!!!! They were sold out of the plain type but they had the fruit flavoured ones. Remember what I said about eating Skyr everyday and being a happy girl? This is my Icelandic dream come true.


*I found Skyr in WholeFoods. I quite abhor WholeFoods, but you have to eat sometimes, so what can you do. But you can see if they sell Skyr at your current location if you visit skyr.is

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Do you remember where the Icelandic Fish and Chips place was? It's not in my guidebook. We're going to Iceland on Saturday - I can't wait!

Mousse said...

It is near the harbour, http://www.fishandchips.is/
at Tryggvagötu 8, about a 10-15 minute walk from where you're staying.

Have fun, I am so jealous!

Mousse said...

OHHHHHHH!!!!!!! SAMANTHA! I am going to be in London on Friday night...do you want to borrow my B&B guide? or any guide?

Unknown said...

We have already booked the Reykjavik4You apartment and also a car rental + hostels package with Hostelling International. Thank you though! I own the Iceland Lonely Planet Guide. I might go to the library tomorrow to pick up another guide so that we can both look at guidebooks at the same time.

Thank you so much for the offer though, and all your good recommendations. Food is one of the main reasons why I travel and I've carefully noted down all that you've recommended. I really enjoyed reading your blog posts.

Have fun in London! Do you need a place to crash? It might not be fun staying here though because I will probably be up into the wee hours making noise while I pack.

Samantha

Unknown said...

By the way, where did you find all your restaurant recommendations?

Mousse said...

Thank you for your offer!! But I'm staying with my grandparents at their hotel. I cannot wait to go to Borough Market tomorrow....

I found all my restaurant recommendations either on the interweb, blogs (roboppy.net has extensive Iceland posts) and just asking the locals when I was there..

I can't wait to hear about your trip!