Wednesday, July 22, 2009

A Rosy Summer in Niagara



Mousse was feeling lonely on the blog and B took his camera to New Brunswick so I rummaged around in his photo folder and found this to post.

This is dinner on our balcony. It has been such a gorgeous place to dine this summer and I feel so lucky to have found this apartment. The big tree right in front of the balcony has a squirrel that is always diligently padding its nest with fresh soft leaves from the neighbouring tree, scurrying back and forth in its work as you eat. Adorable.

The dinner featured in the picture is a celebratory lobster dinner for B on the day he (finally!) got his driver's license (Now it's my turn... we are such a pair of procrastinators). Anthony Bourdain's favourite chef question is: "What would be your last meal before the electric chair?" It is true love when you know little details like this about your sweetheart without needing to ask. I am 100% sure B would say a lobster dinner with garlic melted butter and a bottle of wine. The wine above is a local Niagara 2007 Cabernet Rosé from Cave Spring Cellars - a surprise find, refreshing and perfect for summer.

Rosés are a new discovery for me. I realized this year that they don't have to be sugary sweet concoctions, but can be crisp and refreshing and deeee-lightful! Another good choice, though not local, is the Argentinian Fuzion Syrah Rosé, though it tends to fly off the shelves because it is so cheap - $7.45!!! (Have you hopped on the Fuzion bandwagon yet?)

I used to only drink red wine but the best wines in Niagara are, in order: ice wine, then white, then rosé then red and so I have taken the opportunity this year to expand my horizons, and to great benefit! My current favourite local wine is Strewn winery's Barrel-Aged Chardonnay (2007). Its oak-y flavour is divine.

P.S. All the wines above can be found at the LCBO (Ontario). Not sure about elsewhere.



Me at Organized Crime vineyard in Beamsville Bench, Niagara Peninsula. (The wine here was so-so and a little overpriced for the region, and the wine-taster guy was über-snobby towards young people (even though we had a friend with us who really knew her stuff) and reeeeaally anal about making sure to collect every 50 cents for each wine tasted. But the history of how they got their name is pretty entertaining.)

I will be visiting more wineries while my Mom is in town. Will let you know if I stumble on anything good!

Love,
Pamplemousse

2 comments:

Mousse said...

Organizaed Crime!!!!! I must go!

I love ice wine. I can't have too much red wine, otherwise I will be on the floor, so rosé is a good middle. I think our wine drinking preferences are the exact opposite from each other's.

Your balcony looks so lovely!!!! and such large table space!

Mousse said...

I know this is a little far away from you, and actually it's not even in your country anymore....

But these guys have a lovely apple ice wine (made with apples, not grapes!)

It's tasty! If you can get your mom to drive you guys to Ithaca, maybe I can get someone to drive me to Ithaca too!

http://www.evescidery.com/