Thursday, August 6, 2009

Katamari (not Calamari)

I've been in Boston for a couple of days, usually ending up at the Harvard COOP (bookstore) and reading like a fiend, hopping between the US Current Affairs section and the psychology section trying to make sense of the latest food politics food I've been reading (also makes for unappetizing writing), which makes perfect sense, but is pretty ridiculous. WHY is this the state of people's MINDS? Days of nasty enlightenment. So when my cousin picks me up to go for Chilly Cow frozen custard (ridiculous cow ambassador), I am delighted by the music he's playing in the car which sounds foreign, yet I've heard it before and I can't seem to place it. I ask what it is, and he tells me it is the soundtrack for a game called Katamari.

I am familiar with Katamari, and I'm convinced that I've played it in multiple dreams but not in real life. I've been told that my entire life is in Katamari, although I'm not sure what that means. You are a little prince in a green outfit, purple tights, a mallet like headdress and a single antennae. You're sent to earth with a sticky ball that you can use to roll up stuff starting small with sugar cubes, paperclips and erasers and sketchbooks, then onward to cats, animals, trains, bodies of water, airports and islands. Here's a really comprehensive explanation:



And here's a clip from the game. See the little guy running in the right corner? That's probably me at the gym.



I've downloaded the application for the iPhone and I'm not really good at this game. In fact, I'm pretty lousy. But I am still obsessed. How could you not be? SOOOO, the point of this is really these bad ass cakes. They're BEAUTIFUL and ridiculous and I think I might make one.


Katamari wedding cake
Originally uploaded by offwithyourtv


katamari cake 2
Originally uploaded by Callmesteam


100_1221
Originally uploaded by canmum


stars
Originally uploaded by sherrying


Also, I hate weddings, but here is an adorable one. Actually, it's outstanding.

No comments: