Sunday, August 9, 2009

A Grumpy Lunch Special



Last Friday, my friend Grumpy invited me over for a Grumpy Affair, which I thought was going to be a quick blue potato salad bite before we went to the movies, but was shocked when I arrived and saw a huge packet of Flying Pigs Farm pork chops hanging out of the table. What??? I am confused. It was only lunch time.




"EXTRAVAGANT LUNCH FOR RECESSION TIMES!" she announced and then got back to work, checking on the beets and zuccini, marinating and rubbing down the pork, celery waiting patiently upright in cups of water. We chatted about Julia Child, what else were we do DOO? About making chocolate cake with WHipped cream and champagne in honour of the Queen of SHeeba.



I was put to work making the blue potato salad. After boiling the potatoes, draining them and putting in celery, parsley and red onions, I mixed half a cup of mayonnaise, one quarter cup of mustard, 1 tablespoon of white vinegar, salt, pepper and cayenne together in a delicious blend mixed into the potatoes. delicious.



This is Grumpy's sunny yellow kitchen.



The secret to pork chop is that it likes medium heat, and you have to start it in a cold pan. marinate with a tiny bit of oil, salt, pepper and on the skillet side down, some sugar. It takes about 20 minutes in the pan altogether if you've got something as fat as ours. And let it REST.

We also some roasted beets and some grilled zuccini with caramelized onions.

yum.



Bon Appetit!

2 comments:

Pamplemousse said...

good porkchop tips! I'm going to try that. also, beets and blue potatoes look so pretty together!

Mousse said...

I never knew! I always cooked them by searing them and then putting them into the oven so they'd be juicy, but I'm not sure if that's the correct way to do it.

Both ways yield a juicy chop!