Tuesday, June 15, 2010

What you get for being a pessimistic gardener...


my mesclun salad mix at 2 weeks old.

...Overcrowding like a Tokyo condo!

"Spacing! Pfffft! Staggered sowings? Pish Pash! Maybe ONE in ten seeds will sprout at BEST and I want lettuce NOW!"

Hmm... Er.. Ahh. Huh.

Gardening Lesson # 1: The seed packet knows what it's talking about.

So I set about thinning them...

At the garden centre I found two used plastic seedling trays that they let me take for free. Their shallow bottoms would work just fine for shallow-rooted baby lettuces.



I also transplanted a handful of seedlings at the correct spacing next to the main row...



...Well that takes care of 43 of about a gajillion seedlings.

Hmm. *Scratch head*

Gardening Lesson #2: Give in to the Dao; let it be!

We'll just have to sit back and see what happens in... Survivor: Garden Battle 2010, The Lettuce Edition.

No comments: