Monday, June 14, 2010

Garden Photo A Day: Arugula Sprouts



I started a vegetable garden for the first time this spring. It is just a tiny plot outside our front door but I've been finding myself crouched over it several times a day like a mother hen wondering what her babies are up to.

Above are the arugula sprouts I thinned out of my thickly sown patch. Is it crazy that I was traumatized by killing my vegetable babies? I've grown so attached, tearing them away from their life-giving roots was tough!

I was pleasantly surprised though by how much the taste of them varied by the size of the sprouts. The very baby ones were hot and peppery and the slightly larger sprouts had a milder, sweeter flavour.

These sprouts are about two weeks from planting. I've made a resolution to post a garden photo a day to show you how my babies grow.

<3 pamplemousse

No comments: