Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Summer Plate



It took me many winters to adjust and accept the cold. The first 4 years in the North East, coming from the equator, were brutal. At the slightest hint of fall, my mood would take a turn for the worst. I would never be warm enough and at -11 Celsius with the wind blowing through every layer I had on, I thought I'd never be warm again. Now, although I do enjoy summer, I complain about being hot far more than I do being cold and summer might be my favourite season only because of what's around to eat.

My lunch today was the essence of summer:
tomatoes, goat cheese and balsamic vinegar on toast rubbed with garlic, grilled eggplant, sweet corn and a nectarine (not pictured)

(I caved and went to the market to buy some green zebra tomatoes, even though I have CSA tomatoes coming out of my ears, vegetable drawer overflowing)

2 comments:

Pamplemousse said...

Ooh! What do green tomatoes taste like? And what is your trick to perfectly grilled eggplant?

Mousse said...

I buy fairytale eggplant – the mini type which tends to be sweeter. then i poke them thoroughly with a fork on all sides and douse with olive oil and put in the oven for 30-40 minutes.

voila!