Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Summerlazy Quinoa Risotto



I concocted this ridiculously quick Quisotto for lunch today as an alternative to the toil of risotto stirring. It's also lighter and less cheezy in flavour, making it the perfect light Summerlazy dish. Enjoy!

Ingredients
quinoa (cook 1 part quinoa to 1.5-2 parts water)
asparagus, wooded stems trimmed, broken into segments
(try with fresh summer peas too! I didn't have any)

Dress with
fresh mint and tarragon (a pinch or two of each, torn or snipped or chopped small)
parmesan, sprinkled lightly
a tiny splash of olive oil
a tiny squeeze of lemon

Directions
I threw my quinoa and asparagus (you could do this with the peas too) straight in the rice cooker with the 2 parts water (to 1 part quinoa), and a small corner of broth cube (sub a pinch of salt). You can also do it over the stove (covered) over med to med-low heat.

Dress this summer risotto lightly, the flavours are delicate- I overdid it with the mint - that fresh stuff overpowers!

(Learn from my mistake and throw the chopped mint into the just-cooked quinoa; toss till wilted. This will mellow the strong herby flavour. Good luck!).


my now flourishing tarragon and new favourite herb this summer

No comments: